Friday, September 16, 2016

Effective Communication




I find myself communicating differently with different people from various groups and cultures on a daily basis. I am much more formal with the families that I work with than I am when I communicate with their children. Across colleagues I find myself communicating differently based on the content of the conversation (ex. social vs. work related). I also monitor the content of social discussions based on the audience (ex. who I can trust vs. who I cannot trust, who may find humor in my statements vs. who may be offended). I think that one of  keys wto being an effective communicator is knowing when and how to say the things that you need to in a way in which they will be received positively. In order to do that, taking the time to get to know your communicative partners is crucial. Understanding unspoken social rules and social etiquette is also critical.

Three strategies that I could use to help me communicate more effectively would be:

1. To look at situations that may bother me from different perspectives (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010).

2. To work hard to understand the different cultures and realities of others, as this may help me to understand their actions due to their beliefs (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010).

3. To keep in mind that learning about others does not mean that I am not free to continue to be who I am. It means that I can have a "broader perspective on differences" (Gonzalez-Mena, 2010, p.38).

Gonzalez-Mena, J. (2010). 50 strategies for communicating and working with diverse families. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.

5 comments:

  1. Good afternoon Stella,
    I think that the conversation that we have are depending on the people who we interact with and like you said who we trust. I think that I talk to my parents in a formal style of communication but would like to get to know them a little bit better so sometimes their is some informal communication and this is also true for co-workers. The only thing that I would say is knowing your boundaries and not crossing them. We are in a people driven career where we have to know the people who we are trying to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    Trust vs mistrust seems to always show through life. I am cautious about what I say around certain people. Communication is so complex we unconsciously communicate in several ways every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I agree about being cautious with the way you speak to those you know well versus those you just met. It does take time to build trust with others but it does not mean you cannot be yourself. It is a wise strategy for you to be able to control what you say and how you say. I find it easier to speak with others when I understand the context of the conversation whether it be with children, parents, co-workers, colleagues, and friends and family. It makes a huge difference!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I love how you listed the steps you use to effectively communicate, those are great things to look at and apply when communicating with individuals especially those that are diverse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I love how you listed the steps you use to effectively communicate, those are great things to look at and apply when communicating with individuals especially those that are diverse.

    ReplyDelete