Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Communication Insights





Completing surveys related to communication anxiety, verbal aggression and listening skills helped me to assess the skills that I have and skills that I can improve on. Having my husband and a colleague take the same surveys to assess my communication skills provided further insight into how I communicate on a personal and professional level. I was pleasantly surprised that all three scores were within just a few points of each other and reflected similar categories in each area (mild communication anxiety, moderate verbal aggressiveness, and people oriented listening skills).

Two insights that I learned while completing this activity include that although we think we may be effective communicators we will never know for sure until we interview or ask for feedback from our communicative partners. In addition, our communication skills are constantly shifting to different styles depending upon whom we are speaking with and what we are speaking about. Not to mention the external and internal influences which affect our communicative state, such as our physical well-being, emotional wellness, mood, and stress level. Our ability to communicate both professionally and personally is something that we should take the time to analyze from time to time in all aspects of our lives so that we can be sure we are demonstrating the skills necessary in order to foster healthy, respectful and collaborative relationships.

7 comments:

  1. I agree we really don't know how effective our communication is until we ask others for feedback. This was great exercise to learn more about ourselves. I thought you made a great point about how our communication style changes depending on who we are communicating with and especially our personal state at that moment. If our personal or professional lives are more stressful it will have an impact on how we communicate in those environments compared to how we may communicate in a relaxed calm environment. There are so many factors that affect our ability to communicate affectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This assignment reminded me of the John C. Maxwell's 360 degree leadership book. It's a book to read on leadership, but it also asks for others to evaluate you. In the same way, you have to reflect upon your personal and professional styles that affect your influence. Of the three assessments, I am glad to know I am not an aggressive verbal speaker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I love how many of us chose our husbands to complete the surveys. I, too, was surprised that the scores were similar. I agree completely with you about communication between different groups. It always changes. I enjoyed this exercise as I have never really asked for feedback on my communications with others. I plan to do this more frequently with my co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,
    This assignment was so much fun to me. To sit down and talk to my friend about my style of communicating and to talk to a potential significant other as well put some perspective on my professional style and personal. I did find out that professionally I am a great communicator and people person, on a personal level I don't hold my tongue and that was a conversation I was happy to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan,
    This activity was rewarding for me it allowed me to assess myself and seek goals to improve my communication. By improving my communication skills it will improve my relationships with the children and families I interact with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. megan,

    I agree that our communication is constantly shifting all the time, we also may have a different perception of our own communication than what others may have of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. megan,

    I agree that our communication is constantly shifting all the time, we also may have a different perception of our own communication than what others may have of us.

    ReplyDelete