Thursday, July 14, 2016

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture-Week 3


For this assignment I interviewed three people and asked them to share their definition of culture and diversity. I first interviewed a colleague and she shared that to her 'culture' is what a person believes in and what rules they follow. She also shared that it is greatly influenced by where they are from, what ethnicity they are and what gender they are. To her, 'diversity' is a term used to acknowledge the differences that each of us exhibit. She made a point to say that she views 'diversity' as a strength and something that should be acknowledged and explored.

The second person I interviewed was my husband. I chose to ask him these questions, because often times we don't see eye to eye regarding cultural diversity and I thought maybe this would help me to understand his perspective better. My husband shared that to him 'culture' is the way people live, the hobbies they have, their styles of shelter, and what kind of food they eat. (To my surprise he did not mention anything about their country of origin, race or ethnicity). He defined 'diversity' as very simply, just being different.

The third person I interviewed was my 11 year old daughter. I often say that she is an old soul in a young person's body and I was genuinely interested in her interpretation of the terms. My daughter shared that to her 'culture' is the history of a specific person. She defined 'diversity' as a very special trait and there is nothing else like it. I love that she cherishes being different and celebrates the differences she sees in others.

Within the answers I received, some of the aspects to culture and diversity which we have covered in this course were mentioned and others were not. An example of an aspect that has been covered in this course is that the meaning of culture can be very broad and encompass many aspects of our lives. I loved the simplicity of my daughter's answers, but I can see that there is more that I can teach her about her own culture so that she knows how to articulate the broad spectrum of what the term can mean.

Aspects which have been discussed, but were omitted, within the definitions that I received included understanding the concept of surface culture and deep culture. For both my husband and my daughter, they seemed to stick to culture on the surface level, whereas, my colleague began to look further into deep culture, with her reference to a person's set of beliefs.

I found it interesting to ask different people about their definitions of culture because it helps me see things from their perspective. It also has highlighted how what I have learned within this course has broadened my own understanding of culture and diversity.

4 comments:

  1. I love your colleague's response to diversity being a strength. We do have so much to explore and learn from other's differences. I appreciate the opportunity to learn from others beings I come from a small, religious, mostly caucasian, english speaking community without much diversity to explore, so every opportunity is a gift of knowledge.
    Your 11 year old's response was fabulous. Each trait is special and there is nothing else like it! That is what is so wonderful about diversity-we can celebrate everybody's uniqueness!! Thank you for sharing these perspectives. I enjoyed this read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your daughter's respond the most. She is so wise for her age for sure. Thank you for sharing all of their responses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    I love the fact that you got your daughter’s perception of the terms’ meanings. I think that it is amazing that even at 11 years old, her idea of culture and diversity were pretty dead on. Furthermore, I admire that fact that as an 11 year old she is able to cherish being different and celebrate the differences of others. This is so important, especially in today’s society, where everyone seems to be losing themselves and their identities all together. It is important that we teach the children that we encounter that we were uniquely created and that we should appreciate both our similarities and our differences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I love that you interviewed your daughter and asked her the meaning, that was a very different perspective than the ones of the others you interview which was nice to see. Children have great opinions on things like this and it's also great to see what she has learned so far in life with only being 11.

    ReplyDelete