Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Sharing Web Resources


Over the past few weeks, I have been studying NAEYC's website (www.NAEYC.org) . I have found their position statements for best practice to be particularly helpful and insightful. Last week I had the opportunity to share what I have learned about evaluating dual language learners with my supervisors. Being a speech therapist, this topic is especially interesting with me and I definitely found ways to improve my practice as well as ways to improve the procedures for the organization that I work for.

For this week's discussions, I found NAEYC's position statement for developmentally appropriate practice (DAP) to be a very helpful source. This source is especially helpful when trying to find ways to justify play, experiential learning, and the need for social and emotional growth during the early years. NAEYC's website provides DAP for children from birth to age eight, and also has DAP practice resources divided into categories for Infant/Toddler, Preschoolers, Kindergarteners, and Early Primary School Age children. The site also offers additional links and resources as references in these areas as well. The DAP position statements can be used to support how economists, neuroscientists and politicians support the early childhood field depending upon how each profession needs to support their point of view.

A recent news release from NAEYC discussed Obama's new Every Child Succeeds Act and highlights it as a win for the realm of early childhood education. With this act, comes a $250 million Preschool Development Grant program which should help fund states and facilitate the creation of more early childhood programs for low income families. The act also transfers authority to states to create accountability systems to ensure and support all young children to help them be more successful in school.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! First of all I would like to congratulate you for being able to make a difference in your field of profession with the what you have learnt so far in this course. I am also very thrilled to learn about the Every Child Succeeds Act. I hope this and many more Acts such as this will be implemented all over the world from time to time. Keep up your great work on advocating for the early childhood education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    Thank you for sharing the information about the site! I am also using the NAEYC website and found it has a ton of information and resources. I find it great that you can apply it to speech therapy! The DAP section is very helpful for anyone in the early childhood field. Thank you for sharing about the Preschool Development Grant program. This is a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Megan,

    Thank you for sharing this website! It does have a lot of information. I can't wait to hear more about the Every Child Succeeds Act. I think that will help a lot of states get more early childhood programs in place.

    ReplyDelete