Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Relationship Reflection


Relationships are important to me because I think they provide us with the true essence of what life is. Relationships allow us to evolve into the truest version ourselves by helping us to grow, reflect, share insights, have a purpose, and enjoy life. I currently have positive relationships with my husband and my children. My husband is my "person", he is the one I talk about my day with, the one I share my soul with and confide in, the one I laugh with and the one who knows me better than anyone. My children and I have different relationships based on their age, gender and personalities. I am my daughter's confidant, someone she can laugh with and cry with, someone who wants to know all about what interests and challenges her. She helps me every day to be the best person I can be by helping me to stay positive, helping me to look things from a different perspective and to find joy in every day occurrences. I am my son's biggest cheerleader, encourager , playmate and disciplinarian. He requires more help understanding rules, boundaries and relationships. He helps me to stay silly, to find the fun in everyday adventures and to take risks.

Positive factors that have contributed to these relationships include full acceptance, unconditional love and understanding, positive communication, consistency, a listening ear, honest advice and undivided attention. Challenges to developing and maintaining these relationships include keeping a healthy balance of work, play, discipline and fun. Being patient during challenging times, being analytical and objective during times of exhaustion and keeping an open mind have also contributed to our positive relationships. I think it's important to point out that having positive relationships does not always mean that everyone gets along and that there are no struggles. To me the struggles in our relationships are ultimately what can bring us closer together and help us to grow as individuals.

I believe my relationships have had a positive impact on my ability to be an effective early childhood professional. They allow me to stay objective, accept differences and find compromises. They have also made me a better listener and observer so that I can truly try to understand the struggles the children and families that I am working with are facing.

5 comments:

  1. Megan-
    I very much enjoyed reading about the relationships you have with each of your children. I really appreciate how you value them as individuals and as a result, have unique relationships with each child. I also think it is very humbling to hear how they have impacted you and helped you grow as an individual. I hope to have such positive relationships with my future children! Thank you for sharing.
    Julie Ringle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,

    I really enjoyed your post because I can identify with it. Even though I don't have children of my own, something similar happens with me, my brothers and my parents. For example, I'm more attached to my mom, while my brothers prefer talking about their problems to my dad. Family dynamics also vary depending on age, gender and personalities. I agree that childhood professionals should stay objective and accept differences. Though sometimes it may be difficult to remain objective when you get to really know each child and establish a bond. At this point, relationships become subjective in my opinion.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,

    I agree, as early childhood professionals its imperative we maintain objectivity, patience, and understanding when working with families in our programs. Especially if we are serving families from low-income communities, although my life is a testimony in overcoming life's challenging obstacles I am humble to witness many obstacles young families face that I can not relate to accept with a open mind and a spirit of compassion. Thank you for sharing such an insightful enjoyable post!

    Dedre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,

    I love that you said you are your daughter's confidant and cheerleader for your son. As we have learned during our child development class it is so important to build secure attachments and close relationships with children to ensure positive social emotional development and overall well-being. Your children are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you broke down the relationships you have with your family. I love that you confide in your husband and that he listens. Positive relationships are so important.

    ReplyDelete